Thursday, December 27, 2007

Trailer Watch: The Forbidden Kingdom


A few weeks ago a trailer for Jet Li's new movie, The Forbidden Kingdom, was leaked onto the web.

After watching that video I was excited, it's a trailer for a potentially great martial arts film. From everything I saw it had the all the makings of a Kung Fu classic; beautiful cinematography, amazing fight choreography, a dark villain, Jackie Chan as a Drunken Master (something only a man with Chan’s range of balance and movement can really pull off), and of course Jet Li. Hell they even made the kid from Sky High look sorta bad-ass.

I did my research on the movie and saw that the writer’s (John Fusco) big credits were the Young Guns movies and the Director (Rob Minskoff) has done a bunch of Disney flicks (including The Lion King). The synopsis made the movie sound less like a Kung Fu Epic and more like The Never Ending Story for a new generation. Needless to say my excitement was waning.

Last week the official American version of the trailer was released.


Just as I suspected, the movie looks more Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles III (the one where they go back to feudal Japan) than Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon. I’ll wait to watch this one on HBO after the millionth showing of Eragon.

Bonus Trailer:
My Name is Bruce
Starring: The man, the myth, the Legend…Bruce Campbell.

Awesome!

No comments: