Monday, January 21, 2008

Cloverfield Monster "Tears" Up Box Office

Cloverfield was the big winner at the box office this weekend grossing an estimated $41 Million, a new opening weekend record for the month of January. The previous record was $36 Million held by the special edition re-release of Star Wars.

I saw Cloverfield Friday after work and thoroughly enjoyed experiencing the movie's first person perspective. Other people in the theater with me did not get it. Some people even booed at the end. I think they were expecting multi camera glamor shots of the monster and more back story, but it just isn't that kind of movie. You are meant to experience the attack the same way the characters are as they go through it. As I told one person, the monster itself isn't as important as the effects of the monster attack (even though it was a pretty bad ass creature).

I don't want to say too much about the movie and ruin it for those who haven't seen it yet, but I will say this. The main characters were hipsters and morons. I was rooting for the monster.

No comments: