Monday, February 25, 2008

Quick Oscar Recap

I went 8 for 11 on my Oscar predictions, a vast improvement over that Golden Globes debacle. Even more, NO ONE saw Tilda Swinton winning for Best Supporting Actress, so I think I really should not count that one and have a nice even 8 for 10. I'll take 80% any day.

The show on the whole was pretty dull. No major moments that will go down in Oscar history and no major upsets that could cause controversy (I'm looking at you Crash in 2006).

For me the best part of the evening was the audiences reaction to Once. Every time the film was even mentioned there was hooting and hollering from the crowd, everyone seemed to love this movie. It probably is because it is the "little movie that could". With a budget of $100,000 and a 17 day shooting schedule, this film overcame tremendous odds to even be mentioned on the Oscar stage let alone win an award, making it a true underdog and everyone loves an underdog (we have 5 Rocky movies...yes 5!...that prove me right). Plus, this movie is a ray of hopeful sunshine breaking through the rest of this years brooding, gloomy, and deranged Oscar fare. It truly is a beautiful heartfelt movie that you just can't help but like. It really deserves whatever attention it can get.

There is some controversy swelling due to the omission of Brad Renfro from the "In Memoriam" montage this year. Renfro passed away a week before Heath Ledger who was the anchor of the video. The Academy claimed today that it was an "editing decision". I guess that means they were trying to conserve time? It seems more like a "we don't want that fucking junkie dirtying up our broadcast decision", which is fine with me. But what isn't fine is leaving out Roy Schneider. There is no excuse. None!

Was Jon Travolta sporting spray on hair? Certainly looked that way to me.

Is it just me or is Travolta super gay? He has got to be the gayest man in America right? He makes Richard Simmons look like Derek Jeter.

One last thing to note, none of the acting awards went to an American actor or actress.

No comments: